To Contact Brandon or have him speak to your Church or Organization.

If you wish to contact Brandon or have him speak to your church or organization. Please email Brandon at

brandonhein@gmail.com

Monday, April 19, 2010

Men of God are NOT called to be "NICE"

Have you heard that phrase, "Nice guys always finish last?" As Colonel Potter from the Mash 4077 would say, "Horse Hockey!". I know 'Nice' guys and to me they seem to have it all. People love 'Nice' guys. 'Nice' guys are always the ones talked about and the ones people like to be around. 'Nice' guys are always invited to the parties and put on the best committees. These 'Nice' guys seem to have the same job the longest and always get the first pay raise when they are dealt out every year. Some of the 'Nicest' guys have the biggest and best houses I have ever seen. If you think enough you might even be tempted to believe 'Nice' guys must be loved by God the most.
Dont be fooled! In fact I would be willing to say even though God loves the 'Nice' guy he is extremely disappointed in him. Whoa there big fella did you just say God is disappointed in the 'Nice' guy? The guy who never gets into arguments, never seems to have a dispute with his boss and dare I might say has the perfect marriage because he and his wife haven't had a fight in upteen years?! Yep, you heard me right! I believe 'Nice' guys are tortured men because they haven't used the gift of being a man to be a 'Hero' for the Kingdom of Heaven.
Here is where I will lose many of you. Are you ready for this? Here is my profound statement which will make many of you 'Nice' guys mad. Here it is,"JESUS WAS NOT A NICE GUY!" Are you upset, disgruntled, or even dare I say mad at me for this statement? If you are GOOD! Its about time you got angry about something!
Jesus was a controversial figure in his day (to this day to be honest). Jesus just didn't sit in the temples and read scripture and push legal garbage on people. In fact, Jesus stood up to the Priests and Preachers of his day called Pharisees and Sadducee's and called them "white wash tombs" (Matthew 23:27) and hypocrites. In todays setting that would be like calling you Pastor a dog or parasite. Would you do that? 'Nice' guys dont call others much less pastors a brood of vipers fit for hell (Mat 3:7 & Mat 23:33-27) Jesus used harsh words when he confronted people with authority when they used it incorrectly. He was irreverent and flat out disrespectful, which is part of the definition of profanity.
Listen real Men are not 'Nice' when they see wrong they confront it, when they hear wrong teaching they rebuke it, when they know something is wrong they dont sit back and say, "Well I didn't do it." No, Real men step up and say look here that is wrong and here is why. Lets read Proverbs 27:5-6. "Better is open rebuke than hidden love. Faithful are the wounds of a friend; profuse are the kisses of the enemy." What the scripture is telling us it is better to rebuke your brother when he has done wrong even if it causes a wound because his faithfulness is in seeing you grow in Christ.
There is a big difference between a peacemaker and a peace-keeper. If you watch the news you will hear about peace-keepers getting shot in troubled areas but you seldom hear about peacemakers getting hurt. Why? because God has called us to be peacemakers and not peace-keepers. Sometimes disagreements are needed so the truth comes out and the healing can begin. Peace-keeping is not solving a problem it is only passivity disguised and claimed to be "the way Jesus would do it."
Last year one of my daughters was getting bullied on the bus from school. I could have just told her to sit somewhere else on the bus and ignore the kid. Is that really solving the problem? No it isnt helping the bully because he is just going to continue the bad behavior with someone else so I haven't protected my daughter I have just transfered the issue upon another kid. I decided to confront and fix the sinful behavior. I went to the boys house and his mother answered the door. I asked if little Johnny was home and she asked me why and I told her I would like to speak directly to him regarding his behavior toward my daughter. When the mother would not allow me to speak to her son I politely told her what her son was doing and I wanted this bad attitude to stop or I would take further action. To this day my daughter remembers what I did. Why do you think she remembers it? Because I wasn't a nice guy and swept it under the rug because i was afraid of hurting someones feelings or not being liked by someone I dont even know. Screw that I have a daughter who God has called me to protect and show her that I will protect her like Jesus has called me to. I was able to show her that her daddy was willing to be her hero no matter what it cost me personally.
I am not telling you to go around and publicly rebuking people, that is not biblical. It is biblical when you see wrong to go to that person and say in love, "look buddy you really made a mistake here and it is sin and you need to confess, repent, and go ask for forgiveness." Real men stand up and will fight for right over wrong no matter what it costs them. These men are the kind of men God is calling on. These are the warriors who will take up the full armor of God and say, "Not on my watch!". We have nothing to be afraid of as "God did not give us a spirit of fear but of power and love". (2Tim 1:7)
'Nice' guys are passive guys, and there is one thing I know for sure. There is nothing passive about God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit. Lets become the men God has called us to be. God has called us to be Heroes not only for him but for the people whom he loves who have done wrong and need a friend to help them see the truth.

No comments: